Saturday 16 June 2012

A Toys Story

A bit of an aside today.

I say a bit but I believe (with all my planning and future sight) that this will be a long, involved post.

I'll say in part this is inspired by Thuaners recent replies; that he enjoys reading what is written here and said thanks. Thank you Thuaners. I wondered then, why do I write. I enjoy it, someone else commented that I have a knack for writing the way I do; I know I write to entertain and for the enjoyment of others.


But I know my real goal is to share my experiences, so that others may go through what I've seen and done. I know this because it's how I see the world, through the tints and tones of other people's recommendations, experiences and opinions.

This is very important for me and games, it directly influences what I play and why I play it because through reading other people's stories I know what I will enjoy, before I've gone controller hunting or even installed the copy. I know, based on what I read what I will enjoy.

I admit, it's hard not to be influenced by review scores. The older games that I aim to play for the purposes of this blog will in their own way be recommended in part by their past performance, how available they are and how they themselves have stood the test of time.

I'd like to go back and play Thief or Thief 2, because they are widely regarded as some of the best stealth games out there, but I doubt they will perform well on my computer and thus my first in-game impression will be tarnished by those first pixels loading on my screen. I however have never been told, by friend or reviewer that these games are worth playing now so I don't know if I will go back.

I know though, that if the right person said it in the right way, I would give any game a shot (within reason, I don't have a commodore64 lying around) if only to understand why that game was so important to them.

It seems partly pointless to say all of this but bear with me.

I'm an emotional person, I live with my heart on my sleeve (and it's been a long week, ha!) and games have always been a part of who I am.

There are people I look up to, who's opinions count and when they talk I listen. I read an article over at Kotaku from Mark Serrels, their Australian editor. It hit home so hard I had to write about it. You should click here to read it but it details about why he writes and what his goals are. Most importantly in this and in every extended article he writes, he writes from the heart. I feel like he's sitting across from me at a bar, the words tumbling form his mouth as he tries to justify his unique stance on games.

The reason why I mention it is because these kinds of stories; ones with emotion and stark truth, with a little bit of insight and a lot honesty are what keeps me coming back to games. Not back to new ones; it's hard to have a defining experience with the 4th part of a series, but the old games, the ones that made me the gamer I am today.

Shadow of the Colossus was the PS2s swansong, but like many games critical acclaim didn't translate into true commercial success. It has had no copycats or derivatives on the market and I'm glad for this - it keeps the tight experience I remember intact. It was a dark and foreboding experience where the main characters bets intentions translated into an unspoken evil. At the core of the game everything you did was deliberate; each foe felled one after another lead you down a path you couldn't come back from.

There was no option to do so, you couldn't unplay the game, but the protagonists purpose became yours, I couldn't choose not to kill those bosses and I couldn't stop playing the game. I had to see it through to the end.

It was completely involving, but I wouldn't have played the game if not for this article written by another writing hero of mine, Mike Krahulik. The emotion of the game is far better voiced by him there than I could here.

The reason why I mention these two is that both of them seem like emotional people, and games truly are a part of what they identify with. It's not that they are just gamers, as far as I can tell they don't identify with any gamer trope I know of, but the stories they share make games more than just toys to play around with or hobbies to fill a few hours.

Game experiences may not be as real as the the song stuck in your head, the photo you took on holiday with your best mate, or the memory of your first kiss, but when Mark or Mike talk about games I truly feel like they're sharing with me an important moment of their life without ever meaning to.

Most games are just toys. You pick them up, look at them from every angle and see what they do. Then you put them aside, give them to a friend or take them back to the place you got them from for something more novel.

But some toys you keep with you your entire life. These are the ones I want to share with you. If there are some that you have that I should get to know tell me.

I want to know what I'm missing out on.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Doss

    I know what you mean about emotions, how they define your experience and make something good into something truly special. Shadow of the Colossus is a game like no other, I've seen games with similar elements but never that wonderful combo of gameplay, story and setting. It is truly a game worth playing by anyone who connects to games like yourself and others do.

    As you said many games are toys, but many are not. Games have made me laugh until my sides hurt, scream anger and curses at villains until my voice was hoarse and cry until the tears wouldn't come. I very much get connecting with games on an emotional level and I very much hope to hear more tales of your experiences.

    Waiting for more,
    UMWATUP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks UMWATUP,

      It's really good to have some regular readers so you know that you're not talking to yourself.

      It's been a tough week for me this week, birthdays and such but there'll be something up this weekend however short.

      Delete
  2. what a great post!... :) i totally agree. theres some games ive played in the past, that i have such cherished memories of whenever i think of them. i would go so far as to say my favourite ones become part of my soul.
    they are games that 10, 15 years after i play them, i still think of them sometimes. i only just have to hear the tune 'stones' from the ultima games and it puts a smile on my face. sometimes its a sunny day, with a clear blue sky and it will suddenly make me think of the game Dune, which had a clear blue sky and a lot of sand. my favourite games, like you said, are like cherished toys... i love them the way Andy loves Woody. sometimes its also the surrounding memories that i love about the game. like how i played ultima 8 simultaneously with my friend, and we would chat on the phone every day about it, and help each other when we got stuck. when i think of ultima 7, i think of playing it in my room, and its grey and rainy outside and its a saturday morning. stuff like that i just love.
    a lot of the times, the games i love the most, aren't the most commercially successful either (like you with shadow of the colossus). But i would like to think, that the designers of those games, would feel really pleased if they knew that the game they made made an impact on someone, so much so that they remember it for years and years afterwards.
    I'm looking forward to continuing reading this blog, as you will be going through these games and uncovering stories, and it might even help me to find out about a game i never got to play, or inspire me to replay a game i loved from the past! and i think i will just enjoy reading your experience of the games through your eyes as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read the 2 articles you referenced. wow! the one by Mark Serrels in particular resonated with me. The bit where he was playing around with MGS4 with hideo koijima there behind him, and also the bit where he was swearing at that game in frustration, and the look on the game creators face.. it is.. just wow. Such an awesome article. You know my favourite things in the world, be in games, books, movies, tv shows or drawings.. are the ones where i feel the creator put their heart and soul into it. and i think you really can tell when they do it. it might be in a way a level is designed, or might be in such extra little details.. or any number of ways actually. those are the games i really like :) thanks for linking those articles.. they were great reads :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm trying to be a bit more researched and referenced so I'm not just spouting about myself all the time.

      There are a lot of good articles out there that resonate with me but more often than not it's the emotion of the writer that I relate to rather than a reasoned opinion.

      There are so many games out now and it can be hard to discern what's worth your team. Old games aren't getting any better but it's hard to tell sometimes if new ones are as well. Control schemes get harder and many current genres are so crowded with reportedly excellent games that don't really do anything new.

      I find it hard to reinvest in a shooter that does the same thing I did 5 years go but with better graphics, I go into those games knowing that there's nothing new for me and I rarely stick around.

      Anyway enough ranting, there should be something new up this weekend!

      Delete